Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day #14 - Love Takes Delight - Nicole

SUPERBOWL!!! I gave it up... Here is the story!

Well, I am the outgoing social one in our marriage! I love to go to get together's and meet new people. I love a new challenge and opportunity! I married the sweetest, quietest man who loves simplicity in life. He only needs a handful of friends and is often content with being home just with the 5 of us. He does not require entertainment and activities. (thus why it has taken Andy so long to jump back on 40Day, he has a lot going with work, coaching little league, on the board for little league and keeping on track with health & sobriety)

Anyways, I gave up going to the Sunday school class Superbowl Party! Not that I was extremely excited about the game, but I was elated to socialize with all the women and have our children meet some new friends from church. We just started this class 3 weeks ago and it is wonderful, Andy even likes it! I did get excited and as Andy would say "sell" it to the kids then say "Dad, do you think we can go?" Oops, bad idea, I should have talked with him before bringing up the whole thing at dinner. Andy is a great sport and said we could go! I was so excited!! Well, Sunday Superbowl day comes and his parents called and invited us to be with them and some family friends who were visiting from Idaho, who are like family. Andy mentioned that he is happy going to the "party" but to be honest would rather be at a low key event. I knew at that moment I needed to honor him. But what about the kids??? No problem, Nana & Papa have a new puppy and they will have fun! I talked with the kids and they were excited about the new party too!

So, I gave up an opportunity to socialize with about 30-40 people so we could be with family in a much smaller setting. We were together as a family and that is all that mattered! It went incredible, we had the best time watching our incredible CARDINALS play a great game even though they lost, we were still so proud of them! What did I learn about Andy?? Well, to stop & think before I make a commitment or decision. To talk with him first and give him time to process. To make sure I look at our calendar and not put too much on our plate in a week. To listen and actually hear Andy before I just do what I want. I also learned that Andy has great judgement, once again! He knows when things are moving too fast and to "slow this train down" as he calls it! He helps me to see the benefits of a slower pace and I help him step it up sometimes, we are a great match! I am glad I gave up a party to be with my family!!

No comments: