Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day #9 - Love Makes Good Impressions - Nicole

Impressions..I admit that I have a real easy time putting on a great attitude to anyone even when things are bad except for my family. Now, I have come a long way in this area but can always work harder! Andy would say many times, "How can you be so happy and nice to your friends and be so rude to me?" I was taken back by that comment until I chose to listen to myself in my talk and responses. He was right, I was being 2 different people. It came so easy to be nice to everyone but my family. I was just difficult because my expectations were not being met so I reflected that in my attitude... ouch, but that is raw honesty.

I liked the question: How do you meet your friends, co-workers and neighbors? Well, when I meet with mine, do I start talking about me? my feelings, my family, what is happening in my life, my favorite things, just anything about ME or I am asking the questions? How much do I "really" know about them? Have I chosen to care or I am working on making my self look good to make a good impression? As I have thought about this today, I see that I need to ask more questions. I need to learn more about them and care more about them...that is an impression that will last...that I cared, not to talk but to listen to them and actually hear what they say.

Which leads to my thought...How much time do I think about how I can love Andy in a new way? Just like dinner, we do not make the same meal night after night, it will get boring...How can my greeting brighten his day? What would he enjoy? Maybe a good laugh, maybe romantic or maybe a surprise! Creativity is my shortcoming, so this is a challenge that take more than a day to think of, but I am starting to brainstorm, if you have a good one, please let me know!!!

Anyways, Andy is still sick (in urgent care today) and I have gotten the "illness" so we are a real pair but I wanted to continue with my dare tonight!! I heard the garage door, grabbed my 10 year old Andrew and said, "When Daddy comes through the door, say with me, We love you and we are glad you are home while we were jumping up ad down with excitement" It's all I could muster up with feeling so terrible. He laughed as hard as he could manage without coughing to hard... then I gave him a big hug and just told him I loved him then asked how his apt went. It was a good moment. About 15 min later he said... You know that you could greet me in the same way alone in our bedroom sometime.... WOW! And I thought he was sick!!!! So, I know what would be a surprising way for me to greet my man!

I like the challenge of what will be my new way to greet Andy. Well, I think I could do a better job at putting down what I am doing and loving on him for a few minutes. I will take the opportunity to learn something new about him on our next time away! Which will be in February. We will be in Hershey,PA the weekend of Valentines day at the Family Life Conference. If you will be there, please come see us, we will be representing the table for Tim Kimmel with Raising Truly Great Kids! If you need a boost to your marriage, it is a great investment...the conference is amazing! It would be a treat to meet you!

Side note:
As you can see, we are taking a little time between the dares. For me, I can be the person that will do it just to check it off the list and not take time to really process. In this 40 Days, I am choosing to allow this to impact my heart. I know if I push through too fast, nothing will stick. I want this dares to stick so that I can allow God to change my sinful patterns! Our dare may take a bit longer than 40 days but I know that I will remember my dares and hopefully etch some good things on ours hearts while I Choose to Love!

No comments: